What Is the Average Flow Rate of Faucets?
The average flow rate of any faucet ranges from about 1.0 gallons per minute to 1.5 gallons per minute. According to the Federal Standards, an average faucet would be mostly likely to reach about 2.2 gallons per minute at 60 pounds per inch and this is the highest that it will go. Moreover, according to reliable studies, most people are likely to open a faucet to collect about 1.5 gallons per minute.
How to Measure the Faucet Flow Rate
The process of measuring the flow rate of a faucet is fairly simple and requires only a stopwatch, a measuring cup and a container that is large enough to hold about one gallon of water (about 3.75 litres). It can be done by following a few easy steps.
- Begin by placing the container under the faucet.
- Open the faucet and simultaneously start the stopwatch. Please note that it is highly important to start the stopwatch as soon as the faucet is turned on in order to get the most accurate result. Moreover, the faucet will need to be fully opened if the maximum flow is being measured; this would mean that both the hot and cold sides will need to be opened.
- Wait for ten seconds.
- Close the faucet.
- Measure the water that has been collected in the container. This will be done by changing the numerical value to gallons and then multiplying that by 6. This will give the gallons collected per minute (GPM)
Some Interesting Facts About Faucets
- A typical American household is likely to need about 100 to 120 gallons of water per person per day and the flow rate is more likely to range between 6 and 12 GPM.
- A bathtub faucet is likely to flow at an average rate of 4 to 7 GPM.
- According to WaterSense Standard, the best flow rate for a bathroom faucet is between 0.5 and 1.5 GP,.
Recommended Kitchen Faucets
Here are two exceptional faucets to be used alongwith a brief description of each.
Kraus Professional Kitchen Faucet
This would be ideal to use in the kitchen since the stainless steel finish prevents any spots from marring its surface and it does not require to be cleaned after every time that it is used. Moreover, the metal that is made from provides a lifelong guarantee and prevents any sort of leakages. The handle is also fairly comfortable to use and will not take much getting used to. This faucet also comes with waterlines, optional deckplate, and any other mounting hardware that may be required so it is also convenient to install.
WEWE Brushed Stainless Faucet
The simple and sleek design makes it a good choice for any kitchen since it is very likely to fit right in and match most sinks as well. It also has a three way spray setting that allows the user to choose between spray, pause and stream. This setting has proved to be helpful while washing dishes since it accommodates for both rinsing and filling of water. The pauses setting alo guarantees minimum wastage of water. This faucet is also easy to install, operate and maintain.